Do all of these updates, new phones and new technology really help? Many times I would say no but the recent updates to the iOS system have a feature that directly helps ourselves and our kids avoid an accident or save a life.
New iOS 11 Feature
There is a new feature in the iOS 11 operating system that allows the user to enable an automatic Do Not Disturb while the phone user is in the car or driving. When enabled the user’s phone blocks notifications and including calls while the car is moving.
The phone screen turns off preventing notifications from appearing unless you disable the feature or tell the phone that you are a passenger. You can customize the feature to allow calls or texts from persons listed as your favorites; however, the favorite must follow up the text with the word urgent to get through to you.
The user can also set up the feature to reply with an automated message that you are driving or the person can follow up their text with the word ‘urgent’ in order to get through to the notification barrier. This feature can be added to your new personalized control center too and you can enable/disable it at any time.
How to turn on Do Not Disturb While Driving mode
- Open Settings
- Click Do Not Disturb
- Click Activate under Do Not Disturb While Driving option
- Choose whether you want the phone to:
- Manually enter the Do Not Disturb mode, so you would have to click it on, or whether you want it to automatically detect when you’re driving; or
- You can also choose the option to enable the Do Not Disturb when connected to Car Bluetooth
- Scroll down to change the auto-reply message that will be sent to people who text you or ring you while you’re driving.
- The auto-reply by default will only be sent to your contacts that are Favorites, but you can also edit this so you will get notifications from Recent contacts or all contacts – or no one if you want to be alone with the road.
How to add the Do Not Disturb feature to Control Center
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down to the control center option.
- Click customize controls.
- Click the green plus beside the purple icon of the car that signifies the Do Not Disturb While Driving feature.
The feature will be in your control center until you change it.
When you want to activate this feature swipe up from the bottom of your phone to access the control center and click the icon.
How to turn off Do Not Disturb While Driving
- The feature pops up on your screen when the phone detects that you are in a moving vehicle
- Click or swipe on the banner and it will give you the option to say that you are not driving.
Read more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208090