Our busy law firm is in search of a Legal Assistant to join our growing team. The Legal Assistant will be responsible for supporting attorneys by performing a variety of administrative duties, including transcribing legal correspondence and documents, answering phones and greeting visitors and communicating with attorneys, clients and court personnel.
- Enhancing attorneys’ effectiveness by providing information management support and representing the attorney to clients and others.
- Welcomes guests and clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving and copying; coordinating case preparation.
- Conserves attorneys time by reviewing, researching, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals.
- Maintains attorney calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences and interacting with the court system; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Representing attorneys by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to the appropriate attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting attorney billable time and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- Ensures operation of office equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Legal Secretary Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Familiarity with legal documents and terminology
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Typing speed of at least 50 wpm with a high rate of accuracy
- Transcription via audio recording
- Able to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Courteous and professional demeanor
- Able to work as a team with attorneys and other staff
- Strong sense of discretion
- Experience working in an attorney’s office