On November 16, 1896, Luther Thompson Hartsell opened a law office over the Johnston's Furniture store. There he practiced alone until his only son, Luther Thompson, Jr. graduated from law school and joined him in the firm as Hartsell and Hartsell.
Growth of the firm began almost immediately, moving into the Morris building. Then, on July 1, 1924, Hartsell and Hartsell officially became one of the first tenants of the new Cabarrus Bank Building.
Shorty after, John Sharpe Hartsell and William L. Mills joined the firm, leading to a new name: Hartsell, Hartsell and Mills. Until 1996, this name remained until eventually merging with Williams to reflect the parties within and finally becoming, in 2006, the familiar Hartsell and Williams.